Sunday, September 3, 2023

The Magic Continues...

It's been almost fourteen years since I started the Facebook Group of the Day blog and twelve years since the last post. This was the first themed blog I created and I loved everything about it... until Facebook began tinkering with things and searching for new groups became increasingly challenging difficult.

I revisited this blog as I was updating my writing portfolio and realized that the awesome Facebook Groups had not quite vanished. In fact, the Covid-19 pandemic gave their popularity a considerable boost. What surprised me, was how little other material was written on the nature of Facebook Groups.

This article estimates that there might be as many as 100 million Facebook Groups and claims that they began around October 2020. But that's not quite the whole story. As my blog chronicled, Facebook already had a wide and diverse selection of groups around 2009 and this post on Quora puts the date as far back as at least August 2005. The early groups were closer the subreddits on Reddit - mostly verbal and unbashfully eccentric with lots of fun threads.

Today's groups are completely different in formatting and depends far more on image-based media, but the zany humor is still there. Which is why I'm reviving the mission. More soon.











No comments:

Post a Comment